This degree has an international reputation for excellence in the petroleum industry and will enhance your career prospects. Petroleum Geoscience graduates are successful industry professionals who go on to work at senior level in oil companies, geoscience IT, consultancy, and academia.
“We have established excellent industry links and have helped hundreds of graduates to progress into rewarding careers. You’ll graduate with excellent employment prospects in a well-paid sector with job opportunities across the globe.”
Professor David Waltham (Programme Director)
Royal Holloway, University of London
What qualifications do you need?
For access to the Petroleum Geoscience programme, you will need the following:
- An undergraduate degree (e.g. bachelor) in a physical science subject that is comparable to a UK second-class honours degree from an institution acceptable to the University.
- Work experience in the oil and gas industry, e.g. conducting evaluations of petroleum systems. Any technical oil and gas related work will be considered.
- [MSc only] Access to interpretation software, data, and expert supervision for the project. This normally requires employment in the industry, but we can admit you if can arrange alternatives.
If you don’t meet the academic requirements but you do have significant work experience, we will consider your application on its merits.
English Language requirements
You need a high standard of English to study this programme. You will meet our language requirements if you have achieved one of the following within the past three years:
- (IELTS) International English Language Testing System – overall score of at least 6.5 and at least 6 in each test.
- (TOEFL) Test of English as a Foreign Language – overall score of 92 or above with at least 22 in the Reading and Writing sub-tests and at least 20 in the Speaking and Listening sub-tests.
We set minimum basic computer requirements because your study resources are accessed via the Student Portal and it is vital that you can access this regularly. For this degree, you will need an internet-connected device with the following:
- A minimum screen size of 7”
- An HTML5-compliant browser (e.g. recent Firefox or Chrome)
- The ability to read and generate PDF documents.
MSc students may require some specific requirements for the research project. This is discussed with the supervisor at the design stage. Access to essentials such as interpretation software is a requirement for entry to the programme.